With the little guy in daycare, there is a need to supply treats every once in a while. Since we like homemade stuff, I decided to surf the web for a recipe for cut out cookies that were a bit healthier than the norm. I found this great one from Kim’s Cravings and modified it slightly — see below. They make a really nice cut out cookie with crisp edges and a slight coconut/vanilla taste. I bet you could add some lemon zest or other spices to make them different, but they are tasty as is. Of course, I probably negated the nutritional value of the cookie by lightly coating them with a powdered sugar/water glaze and dipping them in sprinkles, but hey, they ARE cookies!
Vegan Cut Out Maple Cookies
(adapted from Kim’s Cravings)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (plus a few tablespoons extra – you may need it to make dough a bit stiffer)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- pinch salt
- Mix together coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla in a bowl. In a large measuring cup or other bowl, mix the dry ingredients and then add to wet (I have also just dumped everything into the bowl and it was OK).
- If the dough is too wet, add a bit more flour. You want the dough to come out of the bowl with minimal stickiness. Make it into a ball, throw it in a baggie and smush it into a flat disc.
- Put it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Take out, roll and cut out to your heart’s content! Bake at 350F for 7 minutes and 30 seconds. They will firm up quite a bit while cooling. Over bake and they will be too hard. Bottoms should be very lightly brown.
- Let cool and ice. I use a mix of powdered sugar and a bit of water and then dunk in sprinkles.